geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <>
Subject Re: Donation of Admin Console- request for help
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:19:35 GMT

On Jul 11, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

>> 1) We must decide on where we bring the software and how we handle
>> interested contributors :
>>    a) Bring to Apache Geronimo SVN (w/ or w/o separate ACL) and
>>        i) Grant committer status to any offered individuals that wish
>> to continue working on the respective contribution
>>        ii) Ask that work continues via submitted patches for some
>> period of time
>>    b) Bring to the Apache Incubator and work with the code and people
>> there
>     I would like to look at the code before deciding whether and how
> to incorporate either of these donations into Geronimo "for real".

Of course - we can always make that decision at any point.  For now,  
I was suggesting that we vote to accept the code into our repo - a  
sandbox if here at Geronimo - or sponsorship if at Incubator.

> But my
> preference on the implementation of that would be to set up some  
> temporary
> space in the project SVN, put the code there, let people fuss with  
> it, and
> then (if all goes well) when it's massaged into shape vote to fold  
> it into
> the SVN tree proper (though I'm not yet sure whether it should be  
> part of
> the current "geronimo" tree or in a "related projects" / "sub project"
> area -- that probably depends to some extent on the code and how
> entangled it is).

Yep - I would suggest then we keep it simple and have


as a peer to /trunk

and accept the code into there if we bring to Geronimo.

>     So, in order to move forward, I would prefer:
>  - set up a separate area of SVN for donations (currently 2 on the  
> table)

Fine : I'm going to suggest


as our pattern

>  - pick one of:
>    - add separate ACL for each donation in there
>    - have people from contributing company operate via patches
>     I would personally lean slightly toward patches, though I
> anticipate the donators may prefer ACLs.  In any case, if and when the
> code becomes part of Geronimo proper, I think the donators will  
> need to
> qualify for Geronimo commit status as normal.

Right, and that's up to us.  "Qualify" is currently subjective.

I'd be happy w/ separate ACLs to let people work as fast and  
"normally" as possible, w/o having to wait for patches to be  
accepted.  There's no danger with SVN.  That said, I'd go w/ patches  
if that was the consensus.


Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

View raw message