geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of Admin Console- request for help
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:48:22 GMT

On Jul 11, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

>     I'm excited to see this.
>
>     I believe the question is essentially the same as the question
> around the TriFork CORBA donation.  I'm not sure where that discussion
> stands -- last time I checked in we were debating the meaning of
> "subproject".  Guess we better wrap that up!

Or decide that it's irrelevant wrt the TriFork and now IBM donations,
as it's just internal structuring of our code and release processes/
cycles :)  We can solve in parallel, because I don't see the proposed
trifork roadmap or the IBM contribution resulting in codebases of
independent release cycle in the near future.  In each case, I think
we all agree that we'd want to integrate into our community and
general codebase.

>     I know there is also a certain amount of paperwork to be filed,
> etc. -- perhaps Geir can outline the steps there?

Yes.  There will be a CCLA, which has a software grant as part of it
for IBM to make the contribution, and ICLAs for any IBM employees
that wish to contribute (they'd need it for committership, so there's
no harm getting it done early... as a matter of fact, we should ask
this of any regular contributor the project)

BUT FIRST...

0) We must vote to either accept or reject this contribution

   - we may or may not require to see the code, under a satisfactory
license, before voting

1) We must decide on where we bring the software and how we handle
interested contributors :

   a) Bring to Apache Geronimo SVN (w/ or w/o separate ACL) and

       i) Grant committer status to any offered individuals that wish
to continue working on the respective contribution
       ii) Ask that work continues via submitted patches for some
period of time

   b) Bring to the Apache Incubator and work with the code and people
there

I ask that all committers discuss so we can bring to a vote for both
the IBM contribution and the TriFork contribution.

Thanks

geir

geirm@apache.org