geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of Admin Console- request for help
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:33:12 GMT

On Jul 11, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On 7/11/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Fine : I'm going to suggest
>>
>> /geronimo/sandbox/misc/SoC
>> /geronimo/sandbox/donations/trifork
>> /geronimo/sandbox/donations/ibm
>>

> Location within the Geronimo SVN repo is not a big concern to me. What
> is a big concern is how we decide to accept it.

Yep.  That's why I threw something out there....

>> as our pattern
>>

>>>  - pick one of:
>>>    - add separate ACL for each donation in there
>>>    - have people from contributing company operate via patches
>>>
>>>     I would personally lean slightly toward patches, though I
>>> anticipate the donators may prefer ACLs.  In any case, if and
>>> when the
>>> code becomes part of Geronimo proper, I think the donators will
>>> need to
>>> qualify for Geronimo commit status as normal.
>>>

>> Right, and that's up to us.  "Qualify" is currently subjective.
>>
>> I'd be happy w/ separate ACLs to let people work as fast and
>> "normally" as possible, w/o having to wait for patches to be
>> accepted.  There's no danger with SVN.  That said, I'd go w/ patches
>> if that was the consensus.
>>

> I lean toward the idea of patches as well. This is the console that
> was created by Gluecode so I believe the creators are already
> committers. If this assumption is incorrect, can someone please
> elaborate further on the state of the code since Gluecode was
> swallowed by IBM.

Well.. :)  that would only work if we as individuals were
contributing the code, individually or as a group.

Since the code was a work-for-hire produced by us and other people
who aren't Geronimo committers while working at Gluecode and then
IBM, the ownership is clearly IBMs, and I think that it would be too
murky if we did anything other than whatever policy we decide on.

geir

geirm@apache.org