geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: xmlbeans usage in Geronimo -- upgrading to xbeans 2.0?
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:26:43 GMT

> On Jul 8, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Kenneth Tam wrote:

<big snip>
>> When you say "only used in the builders", do you mean "only used at
>> build time"?  (I'm unclear on what the term "builders" means in this
>> context).  This suggests that the runtime system never loads
>> xmlbeans-generated schema classes, which strikes me as odd.. for
>> example, aren't J2EE DDs manipulated using generated xmlbeans schema
>> classes?
>
> The builders convert various input, such as J2EE artifacts + geronimo
> plans, to stored configurations.  After this conversion, no xml is
> present so no xml processing is needed.  For the running geronimo
> server, the builders are in a separate, optional, configuration
> (org/apache/geronimo/RuntimeDeployer, plan is in
> j2ee-runtime-deployer-plan.xml).  Applications normally have
> org/apache/geronimo/Server as their parent configuration/classloader.
> We should be able to move the xmlbeans dependency into the
> RuntimeDeployer configuration, leaving the app's classloader
> xmlbeans-free.
>
> I'm going to experiment with this a bit this afternoon.

For once, all went smoothly and xmlbeans are now a normal dependency of
the builders, not something in the root classloader.  So, you should be
able to use any version of xmlbeans in an app without interference.
This should be in the soon-to-be-released M4 as well as svn.  Please
let us know how it works.

thanks
david jencks