geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M4 - QA Branch details
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:46:53 GMT

On Jul 11, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote, On 7/11/2005 5:39 AM:

>>> How could we use the dated jar files? Do they have to be
>>> released  by respective projects or can we do it ourselves?
>>>

>> They have to be released by respective projects.
>>

> Not technically true.  We can generate our own snapshots, e.g.
>
> outside-project-GERONIMO-200507111432.jar
>
> The problem is that there are a *ton* of projects that we use.

I think this is a bad idea. We would be in effect publishing/
distributing software that

a) isn't ours in that we have no real clue over the provenance and

b) isn't something we'd want to see done to us.

I mean, would you like to see geronimo-kernel-
jboss-200507111423.jar?  Or have to deal with questions about
stacktraces and behavior that we just can't understand because it
comes from code that really isn't ours?

Now, I realize that we are really close to some projects (like have
100% committer overlap) so you might say that we do have a clue, but
I wouldn't want to set the practice, if we are so close then why not
just do it 'there', etc

When we create software for distribution, which is exactly what we'd
be doing here, we are making a statement that this software conforms
to the ASF process for IP provenance, oversight, etc...

Just my 0.02 :)

geir

geirm@apache.org