geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject possible bug/enhancement - Setting the log level
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:13:32 GMT
When we set the log level on the Log4jService helper class it is set in
the cached object (the Logger) but is never reflected in the physical
log file itself (***-log4j.properties).  Since the service refreshes the
Logger object from the file on a set interval (I suspect to make it more
dynamic so that it can be modified without recycle) the "new" level that
was set in the cache via the api is overridden by the level specified in
the file.

Is this WAD?   It seems that we should update the setting in the file
when it is updated via the cache object.   This presents more of a
problem when interacting with clients that expect to be influencing the
behavior of the system (such as the web console or a command line
api).   This seems strange and not intuitive to me.  If I set the value
via the API I expect that to take effect either 1)  forever   or 2 ) At
least until I change it again or recycle the server.   What is the
common consensus?    It seems like we can eliminate the file refresh
processing once we have a web console and/or command line interface to
alter the setting.  Should I open an issue?

--
Joe Bohn

joe.bohn@earthlink.net
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."   -- Jim Elliot