geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Panagiotis Astithas <p...@ebs.gr>
Subject Re: Disagreements regarding inclusion of Tomcat/Jetty Picker in M4 QA branch
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:14:56 GMT
Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On 7/20/05, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>>>Ok...fair enough...then how far out would M5 be (estimates)?  IMHO,
>>>waiting for the time between M3->M4 cannot be between M4-> M5.  If it is
>>>going to be that long, then +1000 to get it in now.  If its a fairly
>>>short period, then waiting will not be a big deal.
>>>

>>Blevins was talking about release early, often. Adding this change in
>>can only delay M4 and as we are talking M5 in just a few weeks I would
>>say stick with the current branch and use this as an incentive to get M5
>>out soon.
>

> I'd like to hear some opinions from community members who are not
> committers. If you are reading this message and you are not a
> committer, PLEASE SPEAK UP! We want to hear your opinion on this
> matter.
>
> Bruce

In our projects we use tomcat as the web container of choice, so we'd be
delighted with the new tomcat/jetty picker in geronimo.

But, in the grand scheme of things I believe that getting a new
milestone is more important right now, for various reasons (broken M3,
TCK compliance, immense improvements all over). If M5 comes out in a
month or so, then I guess everyone is going to be happy, even if the
picker doesn't get in M4.

In fact I would consider this an interesting goal for the project: learn
how to release often. I would expect a milestone to take about a week to
be released, after branching (for QA, TCK testing etc.). So I'd say take
four weeks after M4 to bring in new stuff and fix bugs and then spend
another week in QA, before releasing. If this schedule proves rather
tight, next time increase the intervals by 25% or so. Perhaps, even
appoint a release engineer to tag, branch, make the golden build and say
no to new patches :-)

As for poor old people like myself who would like a tomcat-integrated
build rather sooner than later, perhaps we could beg Jeff to do an
unsupported build with tomcat as default just once for M4?

Regards,

Panagiotis