geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Schmidt <schmidt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: better release transparency
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:33:40 GMT
sissonj@insession.com wrote:

>Stefan Schmidt <schmidtitc@gmail.com> wrote on 20/07/2005 01:45:23 PM:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Here are some thoughts on how to achieve a better transparency for both
>>Geronimo 'users' and Geronimo 'developers':
>>
>>1. Create a Wiki page 'future plans' (or similar) where a rough release
>>time frame, new features, deliverables, compatibility with earlier
>>versions etc. are listed (like:
>>http://www.eclipse.
>>org/org/councils/PC/platform/eclipse_project_plan_3_2_2005_02_14.html).
>>This is targeted at interested Geronimo users, IT managers etc.
>>

>We definately should be aiming to have everything in JIRA (even non coding
>tasks such as these suggestions, so we remember to do them and know who is
>working on them or plans to work on them).
>
>Geir, are you planning on taking the items in your roadmap (
>http://geronimo.apache.org/roadmap.html ) and creating JIRA issues for
>them (if there aren't ones already created) and assigning them to versions
>in JIRA?  I think if we could do that it would open up discussion on
>priorities of the items.  It would also allow users to vote on issues
>through JIRA.
>
>The high level Wiki roadmap ( http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/RoadMap ) is
>useful, but it probably needs to be structured so it is associated with a
>version, so one can see what the status of M3, M4 etc is.  It should also
>be moved to a more obvious (and higher profile) location than under the
>"Developer information" heading on the Wiki.

Sorry guys, I must have overseen the Wiki roadmap, I actually had
something like that in mind :-). The roadmap.html must have been updated
recently because I remember last time I saw it there was only the link
to the dev-list.

>>2. Add a 'Road Map' link to the Geronimo Jira where the release version
>>(eg. 'M4') lists all open (and fixed) issues as well as a release date
>>together with a progress bar for this release. (something like the JBoss
>>

>>Jira offers:
>>http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS?report=com.atlassian.jira.
>>plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel)
>>
>>I think this could provide a 'bridge' between the Geronimo development
>>community and the outside world. Also, it would demonstrate that the
>>community is alive, which is a little untransparent if you don't
>>subscribe to the dev-list.
>>

>I think this is a great idea and backs up what I was trying to say in
>http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/DevelopmentAndReleaseProcess about the use
>of JIRA's roadmap feature and users being able to see where things are
>heading.
>
>John

Who is familiar with 'tweaking' Jira, so this feature can be included soon?