geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Proper use of Jira for defects that occur in multiple branches/releases (was Re: Outstanding tasks for M4)
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:07:16 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote, On 7/20/2005 4:46 PM:

> On Jul 19, 2005, at 8:01 PM, sissonj@insession.com wrote:
>
>> David Jencks <djencks@gluecode.com> wrote on 20/07/2005 03:24:46 AM:
>>

>>> what is the proper use of Jira for defects that occur in multiple
>>> branches/releases?  There are at least 2 issues fixed in head that
>>> need
>>> to be backported
>>>

>> The answer was "The best way to deal with this situation would be to
>> create a new issue for each version and link these issues if  necessary.
>> This way you will have one issue representing each piece of work that
>> needs to be done and the progress on each version can be tracked
>> separately. Clone issue functionality can ve handy here."
>>
>> Although the recommendation involves creating more issues (the  clone
>> issue
>> function should make it easy), I think it is the safest way to manage
>> changes to multiple versions.  For example, someone may not have  the
>> time
>> to merge a fix into all branches immediately, this method allows
>> them to
>> track the work outstanding on each branch.
>>
>> It also would remove confusion in a scenario where someone fixes
>> HEAD and
>> then merges the fix into a branch, but makes a mistake in the
>> merging in
>> the branch.  The issue for HEAD can remain closed and the issue for  the
>> branch can be reopened/kept open.
>>
>> Comments as to whether this is the way we want to go moving forward?

This email slipped by me and so I'll have to usurp Geir's email.

I feel that this should be represented by a single Jira issue.  Jira
allows one to select multiple versions in its "fixed" field.  Also, when
the issue gets fixed, the fix should be applied to *all* relevant
versions immediately.  Waiting only increases the chance that changes
won't be propagated across all versions.  Having multiple people perform
the same fixed in different branches sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

Regards,
Alan