geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GBean Granularity
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:00:41 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	I was just poking around the Tomcat GBeans a little trying to get
> the broken test to work, and there seems to be a moderately complex
> structure there.

Yes it follows the Tomcat structure of the server.xml and context.xml.

I'm not sure to what extent this is truly dynamic.

It is dynamic, thats why you see the
Container-->GBean--->Host(s)--->Context(s) structure.  You can mix and
match...add additional hosts (for virtualization), etc.  It also allows
you to make pluggable Realms, Valves, etc.

> I mean, will you really want to fully customize the container, engine,
> hosts, connectors, valves, and so on?

Yes...this is one of the powerful facets of Tomcat.  Altering Realms is
one of the biggest uses of Tomcat.

> 	What's the feeling on making a coarser GBean that takes a lot of
> configuration settings and then instantiates all the more detailed GBeans?
> I mean, we might be able to get by with a master Tomcat GBean with set of
> more manageable configuration information like (ignoring the format):
>
> tomcat.hosts=localhost,my-host-name
> tomcat.http.enabled=true
> tomcat.http.port=8080
> tomcat.https.enabled=true
> tomcat.https.port=8443
> tomcat.ajp.enabled=false
>
> 	We not be able to fully eliminate valve chain GBeans and stuff,
> but it would be nicer if we had some more "deployer-like" code to set up
> the finicky bits based on a simpler set of configuration data.

Yes...in this instance its doable.  As you stated though, the Valves,
Realms, etc, would be difficult to do.

> 	No urgency, I'm just wondering if there's a strong feeling in
> favor of very fine-grained GBean configuration in our plans.  It's
> certainly more flexible, but as the test goes to show, more fragile too.

The test break was my fault...I caught a bug...I'll have it fixed shortly.

> Aaron

Jeff
--
Jeff Genender