geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Invoking the deploy tool under a security manager and startup scripts
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:46:08 GMT
On 7/07/2005 9:07 PM, b Laskowski wrote:

> sissonj@insession.com wrote:
>
>> Should we be invoking the deploy tool in startup scripts with the
>> following (taken from GERONIMO-502)?
>>
>> java -Djava.security.manager
>> -Djava.security.policy=var/security/deployer.policy  -jar
>> bin/deployer.jar <standard> switches and parameters
>

> Why? I wonder what the benefit would be of doing so? Please elaborate.

One of the benefit is to allow for remote class loading of classes,
which cannot be loaded from the deployer classpath. For instance,
exceptions nested within DeploymentExceptions may not be defined by the
deployer classpath, e.g. org.tranql.ql.QueryException, which result in
ClassNotFoundException to be thrown on the deployer side.

I don't think that we should enable remote class loading by default,
especially with the provided policy file. Perhaps that we could control
the installation of a security manager via a switch.

Thanks,
Gianny