geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Donation of a CORBA Orb
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:19:55 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2005, at 4:50 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>
>> Jeff Genender wrote:
>>

>>> Relative to the statement above, is there a reason you want the  ORB
>>> directly in the Geronimo project?  I can see this orb being an
>>> important project in its own right and can have many uses beyond
>>> Geronimo.  If not as its own ASF project, dare I say the
>>> possibility of a sub-project <flame suit on ;-)>?  I really think
>>> an orb is big enough, and important enough to be its own living/
>>> breathing project.
>>>

>> I second that partially - is there a need to have two open source
>> ORBs compatible with the Apache License? Why would the donation
>> cause to create another ORB rather than to help OpenORB project to
>> fix their issues so that we could cleanly embbed it?
>

> Is the OpenORB project really alive and kicking?

I just took a peek at the developers mailing list archives, and it looks
pretty quiet (the Geronimo dev list had more posts this weekend than
openorb has had this year).  There was a short discussion on their
progress to become part of Apache, and it doesn't look very likely
because of the current lack of activity.  It sounds like they also had a
potential licensing snag with Intalio that has been holding things up.
Interestingly, one poster pinned their hopes on becoming part of Apache
on just two potential users, Geronimo and Harmony.

What version of openorb was being used in Geronimo?  Was it the newest
1.4 version?