geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparation for M4
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 01:38:23 GMT
David Blevins wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 05:22:36PM -0700, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>>David Blevins wrote:
>>
>>>Anything I missed?
>>>

>>SNAPSHOT elimination so the build is reproducible.
>

> Right.  Missed that one for M3 IIRC.
>

>>Branch so that M4 can stabilize whilst other changes are being made.
>

> We do for every milestone.  Don't expect this to be different.
>

>>Acceptance test process - how do we know what works (need to avoid a
>>broken release like M3).
>

> That's what I meant by:
>
>   DB> We have a number of people interested in testing.  I'll ping
>   DB> them when I have something ready.
>
> Was thinking to branch when I dish out the binaries for testing.
> Rather than the "surprise, here is a binary" approach we've done in
> the past.  Sounds pretty much like what you are proposing as well.

Yes - in the past we've just tagged and moved on. This time I think we
should create the branch at the start of the process rather than at the
end as there seem to be a lot of pent up changes planned. Yes, we may
need to merge some critical changes back to this branch but hopefully
this can be kept to a minimum.

So basically,
* create a branch now, say 1.0-M4-prep
* do the stuff we talking about now on that branch
* cut the final M4 distro
* drop the 1.0-M4-prep branch

Other work can continue on the trunk without destablizing the M4 release.

--
Jeremy