geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <>
Subject Re: Questions about CORBA
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 09:20:58 GMT
I would state the options "use the ORB in the JVM" or "use some other
open source implementation".  Currently, Geronimo is using the Sun 1.4.2
ORB, and the OpenORB code is going to be removed very shortly.

Unfortunately, the Geronimo code wrapped around the Sun ORB directly
references Sun internal ORB classes (and in a couple cases, subclasses
major ORB classes), so it is highly release dependent.  For example, the
current code won't compile cleanly on Sun's Java 5, or IBM's 1.4.2,
because the underlying ORB code is completely different.  Currently, I
see two different solutions to this problem:  1)  Write a different
JVM-specific adaptor for each environment we wish to support, or 2)  Try
to find a means of implementing the current function using completely
portable interceptor code.

Solution 1) presents an interesting build problem, because regardless of
which JVM you used to build Geronimo, at least one of the adaptors will
fail to build because the required classes wouldn't be present.  I still
hopeful that solution 2) is possible, but I'm guessing that we might
still end up with some small piece of JVM-specific code.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder what options do we have to use as a CORBA implementation in
> Geronimo (as a ASF project). I'm not familiar with the nuances of
> miscellaneous licenses, but unless I'm mistaken we don't have too much
> choices - Sun's ORB or OpenORB, right? Again, unless I'm mistaken if I
> were to be asked I'd say we ain't too happy with both, but couldn't
> say why :( Wiki is silent on this, too.
> Do we have to build our own CORBA implementation...well, I remember
> Dain  has been working on CORBA stuff in OpenEJB. Is it a complete
> rewrite or a wrapper around OpenORB. Hmm, but I also remember we
> talked about OpenORB troubles.
> Yes, I'm lost and asking for a help - could anyone answer where we are
> with the CORBA stuff?
> Jacek

View raw message