geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Startup Output, Mark 2
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:39:20 GMT

On Jul 5, 2005, at 9:50 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On 7/5/2005 6:36 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>

>>     Okay, now you have the following options:
>>
>> java -jar server.jar -noprogress  Very quiet startup, log level WARN
>> java -jar server.jar              Progress bar, server version, etc.
>> java -jar server.jar -v           No progress, log level INFO
>> java -jar server.jar -vv          No progress, log level DEBUG
>>
>>     The server version printed will be not too useful for
>> developer builds, but should be meaningful for snapshots,
>> milestones, and official releases.
>>
>> Aaron
>>

> I like the idea of:
>
> java -jar server.jar -quiet           Very quiet startup, log level
> WARN
> java -jar server.jar                  Progress bar, server version,
> etc.
> java -jar server.jar -loglevel INFO   No progress, log level INFO
> java -jar server.jar -loglevel DEBUG  No progress, log level DEBUG

This is what I was going to suggest, except just having an explicit
set of flags  and WARN as the default log level, since it's my
understanding these are independent degrees of freedom (progress bar
and log level...)

java -jar server.jar -noprogress                 (very quiet, WARN)
java -jar server.jar                             (noisy startup...)
java -jar server.jar -noprogress -loglevel INFO  (you can guess...)
java -jar server.jar -noprogress -loglevel DEBUG
java -jar server.jar -loglevel DEBUG

geirm@apache.org