geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Close to completion? (acl policy questions)
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:37:52 GMT
If you vote for this, no complaining later -- you eat your own dog food.

     NOTE: I apologize in advance for using the words
     "incubation", "incubating", "incubated", and finally
     "incubator".  The word "sandbox" is not a verb and really
     hard to use as one, nor could I think of another verb.
     Sorry, sorry, sorry.  Please, please, please try and focus
     on the content in the questions.

Do ACLs extend to things like:
 - websites
 - documentation (possibly donated as well)
 - QA
 - project management

What is the policy on how this affects voting?
 - Can a restricted committer -1 a change made by a non-restricted committer
 - Does a restricted committer get a binding vote on the code to which they have access?
 - Does a restricted committer have a binding vote to code to which they do not have access?
 - Does a restricted committer have a binding vote on non-technical issues?

New committers:
 - Does an existing ASF committer contributing to the incubating code get restricted commit?
 - Does an existing ASF committer contributing to the incubating code and some to other code
get full commit?
 - Does an employee of the donor contributing to the incubating code get restricted commit?
 - Does an employee of the donor contributing to the incubating code and some to other code
get full commit?
 - Does an unknown community member contributing to the incubating code get restricted commit?
 - Does an unknown community member contributing to the incubating code and some to other
code get full commit?
 - Will there be an advantage to *not* contributing to the incubating code as to avoid getting
voted in as a restricted committer.

Releasing:
 - Can code being Geronimo incubated be distributed in our unstable builds?
 - Can code being Geronimo incubated be distributed in official releases?
 - Can code being Geronimo incubated be certified and distributed in a certified release?

Management and dynamics:
 - Can we handle having 2 or 3 more donations in addition to the two we plan?
 - Is is possible that the number of active restricted committers outnumbers the active fully
privileged committers?
 - How much time are you willing to dedicate in a week to managing issues, documenting guidelines
and general Apache Way mentoring?
 - Will we be open to assistance from experienced ASF people willing to assist in managing
issues, documenting guidelines and general Apache Way mentoring?
 - Would they get a binding vote?
 - Would they get and be welcome to use commit privileges?

PMC:
 - Can a restricted committer join the Geronimo PMC?
 - Can a person under a documentation ACL join the PMC?
 - Can a person under a management ACL join the PMC?

Moving Up:
 - What is the criteria for leaving the Geronimo incubator?
 - Is it acceptable to take half or less of the code?
 - How is this consensus reached, public vote or private vote?
 - How do restricted committers become full committers?
 - If a donation moves to full status, are the restrictions of all committers working on that
code removed?
 - Are these people free to vote on matters of other donated code?

Moving Out:
 - Is it possible to remove a project from incubation and not accept it as a part of Geronimo?
 - How long will donors have to wait to get this answer?
 - On what basis will the PMC vote on removing a project?
 - Is that a public or private vote?
 - Is it possible to remove all commit access for a restricted committer.
 - On what basis will the PMC vote on removing all commit access?
 - Is that a public or private vote?

Potential fairness issues:
 - Donor X gets in the incubator in March, donor Y gets in the incubator two months later.
 Sometime later, the PMC votes to graduate donor Y's code.  Do we graduate X as well?  If
not, do we owe X and explanation of why they aren't being graduated?
 - Adam and Jack are restricted committers from donor ABC.  Jack is voted in as a full committer.
 Do we vote in Adam as well?  If not, do we owe Adam an explanation of why?
 - Bill and Ben are restricted committers from donor QRS.  Bill and Ben are having a hard
time getting really involved.  Eric is an Apache committer from another project who started
working with the donated code and was made a restricted committer.  The PMC decides to vote
Eric in as a full Geronimo committer.  Do we make Bill and Ben full committers as well?  If
no, how do we handle Bill and Ben's expectations?