geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Genender" <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject RE: Is it a mountain? (Re: Donation of Admin Console- request for help)
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:30:25 GMT
Alan,

This is a great idea. I like the geronimo incubation ACL.  +1 for this.

Jeff

________________________________

From: Alan D. Cabrera [mailto:list@toolazydogs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 6:06 PM
To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is it a mountain? (Re: Donation of Admin Console- request for
help)

Aaron Mulder wrote, On 7/12/2005 4:50 PM:

		Well, I was going to start a new thread, but it seems Alan
doesn't
	like that, so...

		Would it be accurate to say that the options on the table
for
	donated code are:

	1) Bring (project X) to geronimo, grant full commit status to (some
number
	of people) who have worked with the code before

	2) Bring project X to geronimo, put in a clearly separate SVN area,
	grant restricted commit status (via ACL or explicit direction) to
some
	number of people who have worked with the code before

	3) Bring project X to the incubator, mix outside people and
potentially
	Geronimo people to form a new project team

		It's clear that there's a variety of opinions as to which of
these
	is preferable, and potentially which is most preferable for the web
	console vs the ORB.

	Aaron

I like #2.  To put a finer point to it, I think that we should have a single
simple process.

All vendors must propose the code donation to the community.  Embarrassing
denials can be averted by creating a gmail account and asking if people are
interested in technology X going into Geronimo.

All code donations go into

/geronimo/incubator/donationx/*

The contributors would get restricted committer access to their project;
granting committer access gives us better visibility how well the person
works in a community setting.  They and, hopefully Geronimo committers,
would whip it into shape.  The community would provide guidance and,
hopefully, vote it into Geronimo once its ready and all the appropriate
paper work was obtained.

The "probationary" committers would, hopefully, get voted into Geronimo,
regardless of their projects status.  I have never heard of a motivated
developer not getting committer access.

If the contribution was wildly popular it would graduate, as would any
Geronimo module, to be a sub-project where it would have its own release
cycles.  If it became obscenely popular, it would become a TLP.

Regards,
Alan