geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <drw_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Donations & Policies
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:35:58 GMT
Comments in-line below.

-Donald

--- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2005, at 10:56 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

> > I think that we should have a single simple
> process.
> > All vendors must propose the code donation to the
> community.
> > Embarrassing denials can be averted by creating a
> gmail account and
> > asking if people are interested in technology X
> going into Geronimo.
>
> s/vendors/contributors/
>
> Also, anyone can approach the PMC privately on
> pmc@geronimo.apache.org if they wish to discuss a
> contribution before-
> hand.  I see nothing wrong with that, and yes, if
> satisfied, we then
> ask the contributor to propose directly to the
> community on dev@

+1 to allowing pre-screening by the PMC first and then
a public review period.

> > All code donations go into
> >
> > /geronimo/incubator/donationx/*
> >
> > The contributors would get restricted committer
> access to their
> > project; granting committer access gives us better
> visibility how
> > well the person works in a community setting.
> They and, hopefully
> > Geronimo committers, would whip it into shape.
> The community would
> > provide guidance and, hopefully, vote it into
> Geronimo once its
> > ready and all the appropriate paper work was
> obtained.
> > The "probationary" committers would, hopefully,
> get voted into
> > Geronimo, regardless of their projects status.  I
> have never heard
> > of a motivated developer not getting committer
> access.
> >

> I'd like to propose a slight modification.  That we
> give them
> committer access w/o a formal, restricted ACL, but a
> clear
> understanding that there's a place where they are
> bring brought in to
> work, and if they wish to participate elsewhere,
> they do so via
> standard engagement of working with others, learning
> about the area,
> proposing changes on dev@ etc, until they and others
> are comfortable,
> etc.
>
> Any change can be vetoed, and any change can be
> rolled back.  I think
> we should assume a level of trust, and if broken,
> commit priv can be
> revoked.

+1 to automatic committer access to their incubator
project, since they will probably have the most domain
knowledge on the contributed code.

As far as committer access to all of Geronimo, I
believe it should follow the current practice today of
waiting to see if the person is going to be a real
contributor and then using the @dev feedback and
voting for giving them committer access.