geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:33:50 GMT
On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 07:16:30PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >>How do you deal with code coming from the outside?
> >>

> >You *could* maintain separate ACL's till the incubation is done. But
> >it's better to get everyone involved as soon as possible.
>
> We won't be "incubating" anything in here - if we want to incubate,
> we should go to the incubator.

I'd like to show my ignorance and openly say, "I don't get it."  I
don't understand subtlety you guys are talking about.

I'd also like to repsectfully ask people not to use wording like "we
won't be" as I don't know the rules enough to know if that really
means "we aren't allowed to" or "the best decision, IMHO, is to".

> I see incubating as building a separate, distinct community, and I
> don't think any of us want to do that here in Geronimo, but rather
> incorporate the Trifork people right into our community from day 1.
>
> That said, separate ACLs doesn't mean we're incubating, IMO.

Again, I'm having a hard time isolating the decisions we have to make
from the perspectives on how we should make them (sorry).  It's
difficult having never had to think about this stuff before.

So, it seems we have to get a handle on:
 - Separate ACL or one ACL
 - One Repo or x repos
 - Incubate or not incubate (still not sure on what that means)
 - Separate release cycle or one release cycle
 - Separate lists or same lists (is that on the table?)

Is that anywhere near comprehensive or accurate?

Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions.

-David