geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:36:05 GMT
Thanks!  More questions below...

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 05:42:08PM -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> - ws.apache.org is one big happy family - means one ACL (same list of
> committers for CVS and SVN as some projects are in SVN and some are in
> CVS)

> - Each entity in ws.apache.org is a sub project. which implies each
> one has a subset of ws committers working on it and each sub project
> has its own life cycle including releases.

So essentially, what you're saying with these two points is that for
WS, subproject means (still having a hard time quite getting it)
something like this:

  [      committers      ]
  [code][code][code][code]

Rather than:

  [committers][committers]
  [         code         ]

So, in the big picture the focus is on breaking up and managing the
code, not breaking up and managing the people.  Is that the right way
to think of it?

> - Some projects were bootstrapped from inside (example scout, wss4j).
> some came from outside (muse, pubsub).

How do you deal with code coming from the outside?

> - Folks who want to work on code outside their primary project (one
> for which they acquired committership via incubation or merit) can get
> active on other projects if they want to.
> - Each project can have its own list of active folks (usually on the
> web site for each project)

So it sounds like there is some form of people grouping.  Bunch of
questions here, mostly overlapping (no need to answer point for
point):

 - How formal is that and how does one get grouped?
 - How is someone determended to be on the ative/non-active list?
 - How does someone "get active" on a project?
 - Are you always considered "active" once you make the list?
 - How does that affect voting?  Is it bad taste to vote on a project
   on which you aren't active?

Sorry for all the questions.  Still trying to get my head around all
the different ways things are done at the ASF.

Thanks for the patience and information.

-David