geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2005 19:24:09 GMT
On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 09:43:53AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
> >Trifork has been having some discussions with Geronimo about
> >donating some code to the project.  One of the first donations will
> >be an ORB which is an area where we can really use this code.
> >
> >How do people feel about having the code come in as an incubated
> >Gernimo project and eventually having it become a Geronimo sub-
> >project?  The incubator would allow TriFork to continue thier
> >development while allowing the community to be a part of it.
>
> There are two ways we've discussed :
>
> 1) Bring directly to the Geronimo project in a new part of our SVN
> repository and have the trifork committers continue to work there
> with us on the code, making enhancements to the donated code and
> integrating with Geronimo.  All discussion would be on dev@geronimo
> and the SVN repository would be the responsibility of the Geronimo
> PMC.  We would ensure that the required documentation is properly
> filed with the incubator.
>
> 2) Bring the code to the incubator and work with the trifork
> committers there in the Incubator SVN, bringing to Geronimo at some
> point in the future.

I've heard everyone use the word "sub project", which I don't see in
the options, but I guess I'm not entirely sure what that means anyway.
I'm getting the sense there isn't really a standard definition as, for
example, Jakarta and Web Services seem different.

Dims, I would be very appreciative if you can you give us an idea on
how ws.apache.org does subprojects (how do you run them and how do you
add them).  Seems you have some good experience we might use.

Thanks,
David