geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:26:53 GMT

On Jul 9, 2005, at 3:24 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> I've heard everyone use the word "sub project", which I don't see in
> the options, but I guess I'm not entirely sure what that means anyway.
> I'm getting the sense there isn't really a standard definition as, for
> example, Jakarta and Web Services seem different.

Right.  In Jakarta, the sub-projects were generally independent,
autonomous entities with partial representation on the PMC.  I
believe that the situation arose due to very rapid expansion.  The
situation in Jakarta was not healthy from a corporate governance POV,
and things have been improved, both by increasing the # of committers
on the PMC, as well as sub-project leaving Jakarta to be top-level
projects in their own right.

Here, I think of sub-projects of Geronimo, were we to create them, as
logically distinct codebases (i.e. probably have it's own root,
maven.xml, src or modules dir, etc. that have their own release cycle
independent of the Geronimo J2EE distribution.

As for committers, we'd want all to be on or in the process of being
asked to join the PMC (our goal is 100% committers on PMC...), in
order to make sure that all code at the Apache Geronimo project is
under the PMC supervision, all votes for releases are by the PMC to
make them actions of the ASF, etc.

geir

geirm@apache.org