geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <>
Subject Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:42:08 GMT
Ok, here are details on ws@apache.

- is one big happy family - means one ACL (same list of
committers for CVS and SVN as some projects are in SVN and some are in
- All community related discussions are on general@ws mailing list.
- Each entity in is a sub project. which implies each
one has a subset of ws committers working on it and each sub project
has its own life cycle including releases.
- Some projects were bootstrapped from inside (example scout, wss4j).
some came from outside (muse, pubsub).
- Folks who want to work on code outside their primary project (one
for which they acquired committership via incubation or merit) can get
active on other projects if they want to.
- Each project can have its own list of active folks (usually on the
web site for each project)
- There are a few reps for each project on the pmc. we try to get
anyone who is interested to join the pmc (usual process existing pmc
member nominates and there is a VOTE on pmc list)

Does this help? Feel free to probe more.

-- dims

On 7/9/05, David Blevins <> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 09:43:53AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 9, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:
> >
> > >Trifork has been having some discussions with Geronimo about
> > >donating some code to the project.  One of the first donations will
> > >be an ORB which is an area where we can really use this code.
> > >
> > >How do people feel about having the code come in as an incubated
> > >Gernimo project and eventually having it become a Geronimo sub-
> > >project?  The incubator would allow TriFork to continue thier
> > >development while allowing the community to be a part of it.
> >
> > There are two ways we've discussed :
> >
> > 1) Bring directly to the Geronimo project in a new part of our SVN
> > repository and have the trifork committers continue to work there
> > with us on the code, making enhancements to the donated code and
> > integrating with Geronimo.  All discussion would be on dev@geronimo
> > and the SVN repository would be the responsibility of the Geronimo
> > PMC.  We would ensure that the required documentation is properly
> > filed with the incubator.
> >
> > 2) Bring the code to the incubator and work with the trifork
> > committers there in the Incubator SVN, bringing to Geronimo at some
> > point in the future.
> >

> I've heard everyone use the word "sub project", which I don't see in
> the options, but I guess I'm not entirely sure what that means anyway.
> I'm getting the sense there isn't really a standard definition as, for
> example, Jakarta and Web Services seem different.
> Dims, I would be very appreciative if you can you give us an idea on
> how does subprojects (how do you run them and how do you
> add them).  Seems you have some good experience we might use.
> Thanks,
> David

Davanum Srinivas -

View raw message