geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Davanum Srinivas <>
Subject Re: M4 -- 24 hour notice of branch
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:50:36 GMT
Can someone *PLEASE* help Jacek get Petstore working?

-- dims

On 7/8/05, Jacek Laskowski <> wrote:
> David Blevins wrote:
> > You're starting to sound like me :) Alan and Jacek are always putting
> > me back in line when I go "release nuts".  What can I say, the idea of
> > my code going out to people gets me a little excited.  Not my fault :)
> :)
> > We can consider as a group if we want to hold up the branch for these
> > improvements, but the idea behind the branch is that only
> > critical/showstoppers go in so we can go ahead with QA and TCK
> > testing.
> I'd go with the branch as soon as possible. It allows others to go on
> with testing (and possibly involve more people to contribute to
> Geronimo) while it wouldn't stop the development process, which can take
> its place on HEAD. Only bug fixes would be accepted and applied to the
> branch. Well, it would always require a vote, so I'm not worried too
> much about it.
> What I'd like to see is the final time we wouldn't be allowed to go
> behind when the release would be finally cut and issued. One 'silent'
> week would then be required when nothing but testing would be done on
> the release branch.
> I'm working on the PetStore deployment, but I'm more and more uncertain
> if it's going to be included in M4. I'm completely stuck with CMPs.
> Shall I ask for more time so that it goes in? No, because...see below...
> > Also, IMHO, I would really really like to see us release no later than
> > every six weeks or so if we can pull it off.  Don't know how anyone
> > else feels about that.
> ...because I think that the more aggressive release schedule would make
> it. I second Dave's idea of the 6-weeks release period.
> If a given feature (e.g. PetStore deployment) doesn't go to M4 it will
> finally be included in M5 or M6 or later. I'd feel more excited if it
> were included very soon, say, in M4, but don't stand on the position for
> any price. I can and do work with the daily builds, but people would
> rather like to download an official release and I do understand them. We
> can't postpone releases only because we think that after 2 years of
> development it will become THE application platform. People won't wait
> too long. They want releases, we want them to report their experience
> with Geronimo, so the 6-weeks release period meets the goal very well.
> > -David
> Jacek

Davanum Srinivas -

View raw message