geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparation for M4
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 10:31:43 GMT

On Jul 4, 2005, at 9:38 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:

>>> SNAPSHOT elimination so the build is reproducible.
>>>
>> Right.  Missed that one for M3 IIRC.
>>
>>> Branch so that M4 can stabilize whilst other changes are being made.
>>>
>> We do for every milestone.  Don't expect this to be different.
>>
>>> Acceptance test process - how do we know what works (need to
>>> avoid a broken release like M3).
>>>
>> That's what I meant by:
>>   DB> We have a number of people interested in testing.  I'll ping
>>   DB> them when I have something ready.
>> Was thinking to branch when I dish out the binaries for testing.
>> Rather than the "surprise, here is a binary" approach we've done in
>> the past.  Sounds pretty much like what you are proposing as well.
>>

> Yes - in the past we've just tagged and moved on. This time I think
> we should create the branch at the start of the process rather than
> at the end as there seem to be a lot of pent up changes planned.
> Yes, we may need to merge some critical changes back to this branch
> but hopefully this can be kept to a minimum.

I think that anything we want to continue forward, like docos or
such, should be resolved in main, and then we branch for things that
are ephemeral, like snapshot elimination.

(That said, if we can eliminate snapshots, we should do so in the
mail branch to try to settle that down too...)

geirm@apache.org