geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Roadmap Checkpoint
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:42:00 GMT
I went through the threads on roadmap and features and tied to
collect into one big pile, with some organization and a few that I
thought of on the way.  Thanks to anyone that participated thus far,
and hope more people chime in.

1) Yes, some of these are done.  (Maven plugins, XMLBeans2)

2) There may be duplicates, things may be misfiled, or there is
probably a better categorization

3) The 'Votes' column corresponds to the P1, P2, P3 as best I could.

   1 == before 1.0
   2 == for 1.0
   3 == after 1.0

with "33" meaning I saw two P3 votes  (there wasn't much voting)

4) There are no bugs or features from JIRA here

It's up to us now to edit, reorganize, choose things to do, order,
etc.  I just wanted to keep this going.  I'm also going to post this
as-is to the website under roadmap with the appropriate disclaimer
that this is the aggregated list, in process, etc.

Topic
   Votes (1,2,3)
o - TOOLING
   - - elcipse/IDEA/netbeans plugins (J2EE code
generation)                33
   - - G embedded in eclipse/IDEA/
netbeans                                 33
   - - JBoss->Geronimo porting tool
   - - WebSphere->Geronimo porting tool
   - - WebLogic->Geronimo porting tool
   - - Tool to generate web services WSDL (and if necessary JAX-RPC
       mappings) from Session Bean Service Endpoint Interfaces.  (Sun
       has wscompile, but I'm not sure we have a similar tool -- maybe
       we already  do.)

   - - management
console                                                  33
   - - complete jeremy's packaging and assembly plugins
   - - Complete JSR-88 support
   - - GUI config tool for
plans                                           2
   - - ant task for deployment (and
documentation)                         1
   - - maven task for deployment (and
documentation)                       1
   - - Finish the debug console - start and stop services,
set             1
       properties and invoke via the kernel interface.
o - PERFORMANCE
   - - get standard performance suites to
run                              23
   - -
tune!                                                               23
   - - memory
leaks?                                                       11
o - PROCESS AND RELEASE
   - - get machines for test matrix (RedHat, BEA, etc)
   - - committer acceptance guidelines
   - - code contribution guidelines
   - - general project guidelines (steal from HTTPD)
   - - release process (how to announce, branch, build, test, package,
       vote for release)
   - - CI plan
   - - QA test
plan                                                        1
   - - QA
resources                                                        1
   - -
M4                                                                  11
   - - nightly build generation and
maintenance                            11
   - - compatibility matrix test process
   - - Faster install routine  - current installer deploys all
plans       3
   - - release w/ Tomcat, release w/ Jetty, release w/
Both?               3
   - - QA test : repeatedly deploy-undeploy non-triviial EAR (w/
JSP       1
       compilation...)
   - - Ship a "clean" config - no apps, extra pools, JMS
destinations,     1
       etc
o - FEATURES
   - -
clustering                                                          3
   - - add self-signed cert feature so each installation has a
unique      3
       cert
   - - true hot deploy/
undeploy                                            11
   - - "dynamic deploy directory" - copy and
pray                          11
   - - stabilize interfaces (ex. Geronimo/
OpenEJB)                         23
   - - statement of public
API                                             1
   - - review modules to ensure make
sense                                 13
   - - resonable way to set ports, pool sizes,
etc                         1
   - - XMLBeans
V2                                                         22
   - - Transaction recovery - ensure works and build UI for
reviewing      22
       problems
   - - Pluto or portlet
integration                                        33
   - - Implement CMP/CMR load groups, to control
what                      2
       fields/relationships
       are loaded when a finder is executed
   - - remote deployment and
management                                    1
   - - rolling deployment - deploy and all activate at same
time           23
   - - JSR-88 config beans for all deployment
descriptors                  3
   - - provide way to redeploy single JSP during
development               1
   - - alternate Spring-based
assembly                                     2
   - - GBeanName vs JMX ObjectName?
   - - backwards compatibility for web plans?
   - - JSR-237 WorkManager support
o - DOCUMENTATION, WEBSITE AND DEMOS
   - - get petstore
working                                                1
   - - harvest good material from website for better
docs                  1
   - - user
documentation                                                  1
   - - MDB
example                                                         1
   - - SLSB/SFSB
example                                                   1
   - - EB
example                                                          1
   - - JASS
example                                                        1
   - - TX
example                                                          1
   - - migration HOW-
TO                                                    12
   - - reference docs : list of every configuration option and what
it     1
       does