geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Deployment Dependencies
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:17:02 GMT

On Jun 27, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Two separate issues here:
>
> For the first one I would also separate the DConfigBeans from the
> -builder modules. As we found before, they are used in totally
> separate parts of the JSR88 model (configuration vs. build) and there
> is no need to couple them together.
>
> Also, the DConfig stuff needs to run in a disconnnected
> DeploymentManager where the permissions defined by the spec do not
> support starting a kernel etc. to run the builders. Separating out the
> DConfig stuff would allow them to run in this mode.
>

> For the second, one of the reasons we went with two implementations
> was to allow each to take advantage of advanced features of each web
> container rather than being constrained by the lowest common
> denominator. I would suggest the best thing here would be to define a
> set of common APIs for interfaces between the listeners, the central
> container and the web applications. Then perhaps there could be a
> common support infrastructure that supported the LCD but each
> implementation would be able to specialize as necessary.
>
> Basically don't force the LCD on everyone.

This sounds good, but so far IIUC we haven't found any differences that
can be expressed in the web app plan.  Again IIUC, the only difference
in content currently between jetty and tomcat plans is support for
virtual host specification in the tomcat plans.  This is supported by
jetty as well, we just need to add it.  I'd like to see a plausible
example before discarding the convenience of hypothetical container
neutral plans.

thanks
david jencks