geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Quick Jetty/Tomcat configuration idea
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:28:28 GMT
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Jeff Genender wrote:
> I was talking with Bruce about making the Jetty/Tomcat choice a simple
> comment and uncomment task and we came up with a possible idea and wanted to
> run this by people.
>
> Can the plan parsers support the <!ENTITY> to be used as an include?
> Example:
>
> <!ENTITY jetty SYSTEM "includes/jetty.xml">

	I like the idea of splitting out the Tomcat and Jetty information.
I'm not sure how well the deployer will handle it if you give it an XML
file as a deployment plan argument and that XML file imports or includes
other XML files.  Certainly JSR-88 only lets you specify a single
"deployment plan" file, which is why we need to be able to put all an
EAR's modules' deployment information into a single file -- so remote
deployment would undoubtedly not work this way (though this only matters
if you're trying to redeploy your J2EE server configuration remotely,
which would be a little odd).

	In any case, it might be more workable if part of the build
process did some kind of file merging.  We already run velocity on the
plans -- I bet there's some way to have velocity insert either
"jetty-content.xml" or "tomcat-content.xml" into "j2ee-server-plan.xml" at
about the same time we substitute version numbers and things.  Then if all
goes well, you could just do something like "maven -Dweb.container=tomcat"
or whatever, and it would produce a formatted server plan with the
appropriate web container content.

Aaron