geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:37:31 GMT
Jeff,
	I'm open to the approach you recommend.  But I still believe that
to really teach someone about open source, they need to hold commit on
something, and be able to break the build and get yelled at, and so on.
If we want to make it clear this is a non-traditional path, we could
decide to automatically remove commit privileges at the end of the
project.  I'd prefer that we give them the experience and then take it
away, rather than convince them that the sole function of an open source
developer is to maintain their own source tree and submit patches.  I
guess I'm trying to cram a 1-year experience into a 2-month microcosm.
But I also agree that we shouldn't frame this as the standard practice for
interns.

	Anyone else out there have an opinion?

Thanks,
	Aaron