geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Roadmap / Things-to-do
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:13:19 GMT
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, David Jencks wrote:
> 4. Come up with a reasonable solution to the desire to set ports, pool
> sizes, etc when starting the server.  To me this definitely does not
> involve editing the contents of the original deployment plans or the
> compiled configurations but some entirely separate solution such as a
> configurable property database gbean.

	Can we talk about this a bit more?  I'm concerned that a property
database won't work as well.  As in, we have a ton of configurable
properies set across a ton of GBeans.  We could provide a single database
to allow editing of like the 30% of those we expect to be most changed,
but then what happens when someone wants to change something else without
redeploying the server plans?  Eventually, I see this database getting big
enough that it becomes pretty irratating to manage having the "editable"
properties in two places, or balancing which goes where.

	In other words, I think we'd do better to have a more flexible way
to edit GBean properties in general, rather than keeping the current plan
strategy but also using a separate dynamic database.

	If we were going to go with this kind of dynamic database
approach, I'd like to really minimize what we put in there (ports and
perhaps security/SSL configuration) and then insist that you use a tool or
console to edit the rest (even if that means you have to start the
server).  Maybe this is what you had in mind.

Aaron