geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: Usability/Tooling - geronimo configuration on a headless server
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:59:15 GMT
Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote on 21/06/2005 12:59:54
AM:

>    When you talk about a headless server...  Is it acceptable to have
> a GUI tool that you run remotely via X-over-ssh, or does the server have

> no X install such that even that wouldn't work?

There are enterprise platforms (in the mainframe class) do not have X
installed and their JVMs are headless (e.g. if you attempt to use the AWT
classes you will get a HeadlessException).

>    In any case, I think your writeup is sensible.  However, it may be
> difficult to implement the upgrade compatiblity where a new install
> detects and defaults to the settings in an old install.  I'd call this a
> "nice to have", but in any case it doesn't have to be ready until our
> second release (so you have something to upgrade from)...  :)

I agree the upgrade capability is isn't needed until the 2nd release, but
it would be nice to have a high level plan on how it could be achieved to
ensure the configuration information in the 1st release doesn't end up
going up a dead end.

John

> Aaron
>
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 sissonj@insession.com wrote:
> > The following are my thoughts regarding requirements for
> > running/configuring geronimo on a headless server in a production
> > environment..
> >
> > Whatever solution we come up with for changing the configuration
settings
> > (e.g. port numbers) it needs to be 'usable' in a headless environment.
 By
> > that I mean that it should be 'easy' to change the configuration
settings
> > on a headless machine, e.g. not having to regenerate the configuration

> > from scratch via a GUI on another machine and transfer the
configuration
> > over manually (e.g. ftp) etc.  The solution could be a command line
> > interface, or it could be a GUI solution that allows one to run a
> > configuration server component on a specified port (consider that more

> > than one instance of geronimo could be running on the server and each
> > instance could be running at a different version) and connect to it
from a
> > client machine (with minimal steps required by the user).
> >
> > We should allow GBean attributes to be changed whilst geronimo isn't
> > running without requiring the configuration be rebuilt from scratch
> > because whilst geronimo is in production, people may have tinkered
with
> > Gbean attribute values (e.g. via a JMX console) e.g. to tune it, but
those
> > people may have forgotten to make the same changes to the files (XML
> > plans) that are used to generate configurations the next time around.
The
> > only time I think it should be necessary to rebuild a configuration
from
> > scratch is when you are installing a new version of geronimo.  When a
> > configuration is built for a new release, the user shouldn't have to
> > re-enter all the settings in the GUI again (this would be prone to
user
> > error), they should be able to import the existing configuration into
the
> > configuration tool, with a validation step identifying screens/fields
> > where new mandatory fields need to be entered in the configuration.
> >
> > Consider the following scenario..  Geronimo has been running for
months in
> > a production environment, where months ago, GBeans attribute values
that
> > configured the locations of files (e.g. transaction logs and database
> > files) were changed from the default location to point to a different
> > disk.  At present, Geronimo has been shut down during a hardware
> > maintenance window where a newer high speed disk has been installed.
The