geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:09:02 GMT
On Jun 17, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Michael McGrady wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that Geronimo is a state-of-the-art somewhat
>> classic J2EE framework.  My understanding also is that Spring is a
>> somewhat different approach, moving away from Enterprise Java Beans.
>> If one is merely interested in JMS, is there any reason to prefer a
>> framework like Geronimo to Spring, given that my understanding is
>> correct?  If my understanding is not correct, would you please
>> straighten me out?  Thanks.
>> Michael McGrady
>>

> Michael,
>
> Spring is not "moving away from Enterprise Java Beans".  That is a
> huge misnomer.  Spring embraces J2EE, including EJBs as it has a
> complete API to do so.  Spring is an API that is very useful and
> helpful to developers throughout the J2EE arena and beyond.  So
> Spring can and should be used with Geronimo, definately not as a
> replacement.

To add to this.... Most spring services assume that they are running
in a J2EE container, which provides the infrastructure services such
as a transaction manager, JMS and servlets.

Now if you are really only interested in JMS, I believe that there is
a spring standalone setup that only does JMS using ActiveMQ.  You
should take a look at http://www.activemq.org

-dain