geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Tyagi, Rahul" <rahul.ty...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: Geronimo and JSR-237 WorkManager API for App Servers
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:37:21 GMT

David,

My thoughts are inline.....

>Well, I think implementing this would be great.  I'd like to know:
>- whether  WorkManager could use our thread pool gbean or if we should
>replace uses of the thread pool gbean with WorkManager or some other
>relationship
>- whether the J2CA WorkManager should use the jsr-23 WorkManager or
>vice versa or neither

I think we have to wrap work manager as gbean and we can/should implement WorkManager without
using any other gbean. WorkManager would be available in JNDI tree and app may refer workmanager
in its config descriptor(i.e. resource-ref tag). WorkManager may internally use Doug's concurrent
API, Or We can start using java.util.concurrent package or backport of concurrent API to jdk
1.4, We can have separate discussion to decide which API we should use.

>Our transaction manager is rather aggressively single threaded, so
>currently any jsr-237 implementation is going to have to not  propagate
>transactions between threads.  We need to look at the advanced
>transaction services spec (activity service?) to see what they have to
>say about this also.  I'd be delighted to talk more about this
>issue.... next week ;-)

As you know JSR-237 do not state anything about work being transaction aware, To start with
we can use existing transaction manager. I think we need detail discussion about transaction
management within Geronimo i.e. distributed transaction.

Let me know your thoughts!!

Thanks,

Rahul

Well, I think implementing this would be great.  I'd like to know:
- whether  WorkManager could use our thread pool gbean or if we should
replace uses of the thread pool gbean with WorkManager or some other
relationship
- whether the J2CA WorkManager should use the jsr-23 WorkManager or
vice versa or neither

Our transaction manager is rather aggressively single threaded, so
currently any jsr-237 implementation is going to have to not  propagate
transactions between threads.  We need to look at the advanced
transaction services spec (activity service?) to see what they have to
say about this also.  I'd be delighted to talk more about this
issue.... next week ;-)

thanks
david jencks