geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:00:59 GMT

On Jun 22, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Jeff,
>     I'm open to the approach you recommend.  But I still believe that
> to really teach someone about open source, they need to hold commit on
> something, and be able to break the build and get yelled at, and so
> on.
> If we want to make it clear this is a non-traditional path, we could
> decide to automatically remove commit privileges at the end of the
> project.  I'd prefer that we give them the experience and then take it
> away, rather than convince them that the sole function of an open
> source
> developer is to maintain their own source tree and submit patches.  I
> guess I'm trying to cram a 1-year experience into a 2-month microcosm.
> But I also agree that we shouldn't frame this as the standard
> practice for
> interns.
>
>     Anyone else out there have an opinion?

Isn't the entire process you are describing what we'd want to do with
any new community member who wishes to contribute via committing code?

I'm all for the idea of mentoring, and like the Summer of Code idea
if it helps students to engage with us.

I also like the idea of getting willing contributors going in this
way, no matter who they are, as long as the dedication and alignment
is there - maybe that's what you are identifying with a student
signing up for this, that they are accelerating their demonstration
of commitment to working with the project and community.

How can we quantify and recognize that commitment more generally?

geir

geirm@apache.org