geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Usability/Tooling - geronimo configuration on a headless server
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:51:42 GMT
On 6/20/05, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

>         Well, for configuration purposes, I was thinking something like:
>
> 1) Edit XML/text files enough to get ports/security working
> 2) Start Geronimo, use management web app to get other things working
>
>         I personally prefer that scenario to Swing/Text configuration
> tools.  However, it's a separate issue from upgrade procedures.

While I respect your quest for simplicity, I disagree with this
approach because I think it's too minimal. I think Geronimo needs to
offer an easy to use, friendly installer/post configurator to the
community. Installation of commercial app servers is usually handled
through a GUI installer but configuration has traditionally meant hand
editing config files. This is not something that I think we can do
much better.

>         I guess I probably should have clarified that in my original
> response.  I'm not that keen on Swing management tools, though our
> installer package is GUI-only AFAIK.  But I was trying to get to our
> actual requirements, and it sounds like "no GUI options whatsoever" is a
> desired target platform.

This is exactly why I'm suggesting that we create a library to handle
the installation and  configuration tasks. It will allow any kind of
UI to be developed - GUI, text or web - as well as allow for
scriptable installations. This is extremely powerful and cannot be
undervalued.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project