geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <hamm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ClassLoader Architecture
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:23:36 GMT
Dain,

OSGi is a Dependency Lookup father than Dependency Injection form of
Inversion of control (running with the  the common mistake that
component assembly is what defines IoC, ignoring configuration etc).
I think the industry long term future is in Dependency Injection,
particularly CDI. That is for static languages like Java. Experience
gleaned from the worlds of Ruby and Python is that component assembly
issues are less of a problem there. I just don't like OSGi and think
even the original Avalon (Stefano's baby from 1998 and onwards) has a
better dependency lookup API.

Anyway,  In the NanoContainer project we've always been pushing to
have hierarchies of components and containers that have class and
implementation visibilities sorted out. PicoContainer does not
provide any reflection-esque way of instantiating components.
NanoContainer (as well as many other things) wraps PicoContainer and
does do that. In the same timeline as this tread we wrote a tiny boot
class that allows for components in a tree to not even see the
classes for NanoContainer & Groovy (our preferred but not mandated
composition language)...

Primordial--|
             |--Boot

             |--Pico--|--Nano, Groovy,
                      |   ASM, CLI

                      |--Common--|
                           API   |--Comp A

                                 |--Comp B

Comp A and B (in separate classloaders) can see Common-API, which can
see the classloader that contains PicoContainer who's parent is the
classes in rt.jar

On a separate branch, is the Boot classloader (once main() is
executed the thing plays no further part in the running of the
'machine'). It creates NanoContainer and all the associated libs it
is going to use to create trees of comps, in one classloader giving
it PicoContainer (etc) as its parent classloader.

Anyway, it works well and allows us to implement separations. It also
allows us to have say Component-B depend on Component-A provided the
type A implemented was in the Common-API classloader or higher.

Making this more complex is the need to depend on things not there at
boot time. We've experimented with the notion of hot deployment (in
MicroContainer as it happens), but we'll talk about the mechanics
here (not sell another product). A hypothetical Kernel could be
running is the same space as the Nano/Groovy thing, and hot deploy
(via some user action or archive dropped into a dir) a component. The
component could introduce a new thing for others to avail of. For
example, the component could be DefaultSpellChecker and implement
SpellChecker that it ships with. If the mechanism for delivering the
component allows for a diff jar each for interface and implementaion,
and the former was in some way marked, the Kernel could take it and
allow it to join the classloader at Common-API level while mounting
its implementation in a new classloader alongside Comp-A and Comp-B.
This is a once off deal though. The interface itself, once mounted
cannot be replaced in that classloader. So we gained late deploy and
hot deploy via that. We also have re-hot-deploy sorted via the same
mechanism, but not if the API changed.

What clearly is not done via that mechanism is redeployment of a
second or superseding version of the same interface. This is possible
of course. Just it is pushed elsewhere I think.  Bob McWhirter's and
Jason van Zyl's ClassWorlds will do it. (directed/constrained graphs
with selection package inheritance). Peter Donald has something
inside Loom that does it too called ClassMan. With those and cunning
use of some context during classloading, you should be able to lace
things correctly.

Stick with DI lads - it has a rosy future...

Incidentally we aim with NanoContainer to deliver whole applications
that leverage cherry picked components from projects (Geronimo,
Spring, Jetty, Hibernate etc). Composed like so :-

   builder = NanoContainerBuilder()

   parent = builder.container
(parent:parent,class:ImplementationHidingNanoPicoContainer) {
       classpathelement(path:"lib/api.jar")
       hidden() {
           classpathelement(path:"lib/a.jar")
           component(key:"A", class:"AImpl")