geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: what to do
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:37:14 GMT

On Jun 15, 2005, at 8:25 PM, Yoseph Widjaya wrote:

> Yes I would like to contribute inside the spec
> OpenEJB, JSP/Servlet,  probably web service as well

One thing to keep in mind is that Geronimo is an assembly of many
open source projects inside and outside apache.  All of the projects
are made up of nice people that would welcome you help.  Here are
links to projects based on the areas you mention:

EJB server:  http://www.openejb.org
JMS: http://www.activemq.org
JMX: http://www.mx4j.org

JSP/servlet - we integrate two JSP/servlet solutions, Jetty and
Tomcat.  The integration code is in Geronimo and but bulk of the web
server code is in either of the projects.
     Jetty:  http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/
     Tomcat: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/

Core J2EE container - I guess that would mainly be security,
transaction manager, connector architecture, and maybe the geronimo
component architecture.  All of those are stuff handled in the
Geronimo code base itself.

I suggest you narrow your focus a bit.  The areas you listed
represent about 80% of the libraries included in geronimo, so it is
bit difficult to connect you with someone.  If there is one specific
area you are interest in, I suggest you contact that group on their
mailing list or if it is a Geronimo code base, tell us which one.

Now for how to get involved... I normally suggest that someone new to
the project, simply start by attempting to get an existing
application running on the server.  This will help you get a grasp
how Geronimo is structured and will help you quickly find out what is
broken :)  Once you find something that is broken, post a bug report,
ask about the bug on the dev list, and start working on a fix.  Once
you have fixed a couple of bugs, I'm sure you'll know exactly where
you want to be involved :)

For example, Jeff is actively looking for people to try to get
applications to run on our embedded Tomcat server.  I'm sure you will
find stuff there to help with.

-dain