geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:15:27 GMT
Aaron,

Thanks for stepping up and accepting this.

My only .02 on this is you have to be careful about this accellerated
role, and here is why...

In open source, there is no age limit.  In fact I believe one of the
main/lead Firefox committers was in his early teens...so committership
should not be offered just because someone becomes an intern.  Due to
the fact we have no barrier to entry, including age, nothing prevents a
person from becoming a committer on thier own merits.  Anyone can
contribute and play in the sandbox.

My point really is that we have a community that everyone deserves to
enter the geronimo team by hard work, and to accellerate someone due to
internship kind of breaks the rules and may cause some alienation in the
community...especially those who have spent time helping out and have
not been offered committership.

I think the point of being a mentor is to help walk a person through the
process and how things are done...show the open source way and hopefully
have some cool code to show for it at the end of the day.  But that
should be done without causing community heartburn.

Here is an idea...

What about an Apache "Summer of Code" ACL for SVN?  This allows the
intern to not be an actual committer, but allows them to get the SVN
feel on an opensource project.  It  would offer a good balance for being
a mentor without causing bad feelings for those who have contributed and
have not been offered committership.  What do you think?

Jeff