geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:33:10 GMT
Geronimo is not meant to be a monolithic "classic J2EE framework" but
rather an architecture for implementing application frameworks. The
project really comprises three things:

* a core "micro-" kernel and runtime environment that provide the
   infrastructure for running services

* a set of useful system services such as transaction management
   or messaging

* pre-assembled collections of those services into specific
   application-level frameworks such as J2EE

We're not trying to define an application programming model such as
J2EE, Spring or others; we're building the low-level components that
those models need to run. As Sing says, these are complementary rather
than competitive - pick Spring, run it on Geronimo.

--
Jeremy