geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Summary checkpoint - Roadmap / Things-to-do
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:28:28 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:
>>>Not sure what you had in mind here.  I doubt
>>>you mean that XML hacking is not possible,
>>>or that is would be a high tech xml editor.
>>>Do you have more detailed description, or
>>>better yet, can you point to some tool that
>>>does what you are thinking of?
>

> This was one of my ideas...I can explain...
>
> It would be great to have a GUI tool...prefereably in Swing...that will
> build you a Geronimo configuration...
>
> i.e... I want OpenJB, with Tomcat, and no JMS.  Click here...clik
> there...Press a button...and out pop the plans...and it launches into a
> quick assembly.  At the end, I have my server.jar with my special
> configuration all built and wrapped for me.
>
> Advanced options would allow us to tweak down to the Gbean level.
>
> A great example is the Jetty vs Tomcat.  It's a PITA to uncomment and
> comment many different Gbeans.  It would be great to just have a GUI where I
> can choose a component(s), and the XML plans are complete.

This would be cool - this would be very similar to a JSR-88 DConfig tool
so could be used for apps to. Should be easy to add into the Eclipse WTP
plugin as well.

I would also like to simplify things by having the Jetty, Tomcat etc.
bits as separate configuration bundles that could be included in the
mix. So instead of re-generating the XML each time you would install
Server, Tomcat and OpenEJB /binaries/ into the runtime and ... hey
presto, are up and running. Stop Tomcat, install and start Jetty and you
switched web layer without hacking any XML or even stopping OpenEJB.

This replaces the single huge bundle definition with a set of small
pre-built ones people can just assemble as needed.
--
Jeremy