geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How complete is JSR-88 support?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:13:12 GMT
Peter Nabbefeld wrote:

> Hello,
>
> from the wiki, it seems nothing has changed since 2005-03-22 05:39:00
> (obviously the roadmap hasn't been updated since then) ;-) .
>
> So just my question: Is JSR-88 support complete? And what about the
> others? From the dev mailing list, I'd guess Geronimo is almost
> complete, so what (other than certification) is incomplete yet?

Hi Peter,

Well, I'm just investigating the current status of Geronimo JSR88
support as I'm developing a NetBeans serverplugins module. NetBeans IDE
already comes with several app servers and I decided to add Geronimo as
well. I couldn't long settle on which Rich Client Platform to pick up to
develop the module and after some rather general evaluation I decided to
go with NetBeans RCP. I must admit I very liked the announcement that
Eclipse has its own Geronimo plugin, too.

As far as I understand Geronimo JSR88 support, there're some parts of
JSR88 which aren't yet available. Most of the operations throws
Unsupported operation or something alike. I'm going to start a thread
about how much impact it might have on the current certification work so
I'm happy I'm not alone who's interested in it :)

As far as the NetBeans module (NBM) is concerned, it's not yet announced
here (and actually anywhere else but NetBeans nbj2ee mailing list) as I
don't actually know when it is going to be finished. At the moment, the
module adds a Geronimo instance (downloaded or built from sources), once
started up (it's mocked up at the moment to make sure I'm not distracted
with Geronimo itself) it prints out available configurations, sets up
one as default to be started up the next time. The last piece of the
puzzle is to have modules deployed using DeploymentManager. I'm not yet
using Geronimo's JMXDeploymentManager due to some class libraries
constraints on my part. That's why I can't say exactly what's missing.

Well, it's great you've asked about it - I should've written about it
long ago, esp. having noticed Eclipse WDT support for Geronimo. It looks
there're two IDEs which are heading towards the same goal, so sooner or
later Geronimo DeploymentManager will surely be complete. Stay tuned.

> Peter Nabbefeld

Jacek