geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Best way to 'auto deploy'?
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:57:23 GMT
On Jun 9, 2005, at 6:10 PM, Neal Sanche wrote:

> Hi Dain, and David,
>
> Well, I'm not as experienced with Maven as I am with Ant, so that
> may be the reason for my question. I will definitely give the topic
> a look, and read through the maven plugin source code when I have
> time to see what it's doing. Thanks for the pointers.

It is great to have you back!

> I am doing some in depth learning of what has occurred in Geronimo
> since my attention span slipped sometime last year. I've written
> and deployed my first very small JSP application with JDBC
> connector, and was able to do a database query and print some
> results. So, being encouraged by that I decided to understand more
> about the deployer, and hence my question.

Nice.  If you get some time, it would be cool to add your sample code
to the wiki so others can try it out.

> I'm pretty sure my server was running the RuntimeDeployer
> configuration, but since I am new to your deployment plan based
> deployer, I may have done something that caused it not to be there
> for a while when I was seeing the problems. I guess it's the price
> paid for extreme modularity, so only experience can help me
> (definitely not a fault).

Please don't lower the bar.  Just because we have a modular structure
doesn't mean we need to have a harder to understand server.  For
example, I consider the fact that the deployer doesn't complain when
the RuntimeDeployer isn't deployed a HUGE bug.  Also when it
complains it should say "The org/apache/geronimo/RuntimeDeployer
configuration is not running in your server.  To start it, simply
execute java -jar start org/apache/geronimo/RuntimeDeployer".  Or
even better, it could say "The org/apache/geronimo/RuntimeDeployer
configuration is not running in your server.  Would you like to start
it now? [N/y]"

Can you file a bug report on this?

> So far I am quite happy to be back. I'll let you know if I have
> questions.

Please do.  We are at the stage where feedback on what is hard to
understand, frustrating, or just weird is critical to the success of
this project.

Thanks,

-dain