geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: proposal for new site
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 02:25:30 GMT
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:37 -0700, David Blevins wrote:
> I didn't mean to be the deciding vote, I'd still like to know what others think.  We
haven't heard from very many people on this thread.

> Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website, what do you think?
>
> Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with commit access.  Speak
up :)

I'm not volunteering to do you site here but the site stuff in m2 is
fully functional (http://maven.apache.org/maven2) and it uses velocity
for the page layout, but the actual documentation can be written in APT,
xdoc, docbook, and the simple FAQ markup that makes writing FAQs pretty
easy. It's super fast, has been designed for i18n and the documentation
supports macros the first of which is the snippet macro ripped off from
confluence. With that you can reference whole/snippets of code from a
document at an arbitrary URL.

The maven site for m2 is here if you want to see the structure:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/maven-site/

With this you get the speed you want and you can keep all your existing
documentation. It will integrate with m2 which will specifically deal
with aggregation of doco from modules. But right now it's fully
functional, and fast.

Just figured I'd let you know. Using velocity for the layout allows a
lot of flexibility as we expect people will write templates for various
language support. And I'm obviously a fan of Velocity :-)

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare