geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Why are gbeans not serialized but the gbean attributes are?
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 18:41:02 GMT
I've been trying to analyze the reason why gbean attributes HAVE to be
serializable.

The facts are that:
  1. A gbean itself does not need to be serializable.
  2. Only the gbean attributes are serialized.
  3. The de-serialized attributes are injected at runtime to construct
the gbean.

My question is why does a gbean get different treatment than attribute?
  I've got a feeling it's this way because gbeans are complex objects
while most gbean attributes are simple types.  But we are starting to
see gbean objects that have complex attribute types.

Why not also give gbean attributes the kind of runtime construction
support that is given to gbeans?  If this was done, then you don't
force complex attributes to implement the Serializable interfaces.
This could go a long way in helping solve some of the serialization
issues that are being discussed in other threads.

Regards,
Hiram Chirino