geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Serialization Vs. XML
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 03:03:10 GMT
On Thu, 19 May 2005, David Jencks wrote:
> > 	It's possible.  However, what about enabling/disabling SSL, AJP,
> > IIOP, and stuff like that?  Swapping Tomcat/Jetty?
>
> These involve changing which gbeans are present, not changing gbean
> attribute values.  The storage format is irrelevant to this.

	I disagree.  With serialization, it's impossible to change without
a tool or something.  It's not like you can just "cat" in a block of
serialized data to "config.ser".  With XML, you could just add or remove a
block of data in the (I'm speculating) "config.xml" file, right?  (I'm
assuming the configuration information is stored in roughly the same form
as a deployment plan, which is to say, one file per configuration with
chunks defining each active GBean in the configuration.)

	If push comes to shove, I like WebLogic's config.xml, which has
terse configuration for the entire server in a hierarchical XML format
(not like a properties file with a list of ports).  If we're going to use
external "local" files, maybe they should look like that.  I guess Tomcat
has a similar (if more verbose) configuration strategy for server.xml.
The problem is, any format like that would be super-tied to a J2EE
configuration, so it might be better for a separate project that
distributes a separately-certified J2EE-specific configuration of
Geronimo, and not very appropriate for a generic Geronimo "this server
might be assembled to do anything" build.  Oh, dear, I think the
abstraction police are going to come and black out this whole paragraph.
Never mind.  :)

Aaron