geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Serialization Vs. XML
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 01:55:56 GMT
	Ugh, sorry, ignore that last useless message.

On Thu, 19 May 2005, David Jencks wrote:
> I've been rolling an idea around in the back of my mind of having these
> few "attributes" not stored in the gbean data itself but obtained from
> some kind of properties gbean that gets them from a local file.  I
> don't have a strong opinion on whether this is likely to work or be a
> good idea.

	It's possible.  However, what about enabling/disabling SSL, AJP,
IIOP, and stuff like that?  Swapping Tomcat/Jetty?  Reconfiguring a
database pool with new pool paremeters?  Many GBeans are involved, or many
settings -- the local file would get pretty complex and extensive, I
think.

> My main objection to non-xmlbeans based xml configuration code is that
> I'm reasonably sure I will get stuck maintaining it.   Based on past
> experience, this is not something I want to do, ever, or ask anyone
> else to do.

	I've maintained a lot of SAX and DOM code in my life.
Unfortunately my availability tends to vary over time, but I'm certainly
willing and able.

Aaron