geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: Geronimo izpack installer configuration files
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 07:07:11 GMT
Thanks for the quick response Aaron.

Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote on 11/05/2005 11:44:43
AM:

>    I did the original izpack routine.  However, it needs a bit of an
> update.  I originally needed a small change to izpack so that certain
> post-install processing tasks (or maybe config screens, I've kind of
> forgotten) would only run if the corresponding options were checked
during
> the selection phase.  Now izpack has moved on, so we'll probably need to
> either adjust our config files or change the patches.  I can poke around
> little to refresh my memory if that would help.
>
>    There's another issue, which is that the process as described on
> the Wiki just says "substitute values in plans".  What this means is,
> where the plan has a hardcoded username, port, etc. you should put in an
> izpack variable so the user can configure that during installation.  We
> talked about variable-izing the plans to begin with, so the default
> assembly target can substitute the appropriate defaults, and izpack can
> substitute its stuff, and then there's only one set of plans to
maintain.
> This should really be done -- it's not very maintainable otherwise.

+1.  It would be nice if we could speed up the installation process, it is
very tedious changing port numbers manually, enabling Tomcat etc.  I'll
have to read up on Izpack.

>    In any case, I'll put the attachments on the Wiki page.
>
> Aaron
>
> P.S. Looks like JBoss is going to be using izpack too, FWIW

I read that Izpack 3.8 (not yet released) will be ASF 2.0 licensed and a
maven plug-in is being developed for it.  Maybe I should wait till it is
released.