geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Module restructure
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 22:59:25 GMT
On 5/30/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 30, 2005, at 4:18 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>
> > On 5/30/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> >> I'm too dim to figure out how, because no matter what, since there is
> >> no notion of a tag or branch, no matter how you slice and dice,
> >> either you branch to a different root when you cut a version, or you
> >> have to get the whole history anytime you checkout anything...
> >>

> > On many other projects, I have always relied heavily on tagging.
>
> Me too - and then converting tags into branches if need be.  But you
> can't do that in SVN.
>
> > All
> > work is conducted on the HEAD unless it's highly experimental and then
> > it occurs in its own branch. Once the HEAD is ready for a release I
> > tag it and do the release. But I can see the value in keeping things
> > separate as in trunk and sandbox. The tagging can then take care of
> > stable vs. unstable.
>
> Bruce... there is no tagging in SVN :)  That's the problem.

There most certainly is tagging in SVN. Albeit the concept of tagging
in SVN is very different from CVS. The same is true for branches in
SVN as well. SVN just makes copies of everything because the SVN
developers made the assumption that disk space is cheap. This doesn't
mean that we can't continue to utilize tagging just the way we have
with the mileston releases so far.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project