geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installation UI?
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 08:10:14 GMT
On 5/17/05, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:

> >       Generally it would be nice to have some multi-component-spanning
> > validation so you could, for example, ensure that *no* ports conflict -- I
> > guess that's not critical in the first release, and editors for each
> > configuration could be a good start.
> >

> I'm not sure this is practical - you don't know which other ports are in
> use, and even if you knew what Geronimo is using you don't know what
> other ports are going to be used at runtime.
>
> >       For installation, we'd have to either customize or replace IzPack.
> > Do you have an alternative in mind?
> >

> No - we used InstallAnywhere for JOE but needed a license.

What about building our own installer/post install configurator using
the JGoodies (https://jgoodies.dev.java.net/) set of projects? It's a
BSD licensed project so there wouldn't be an issue including it with
Geronimo. Yes, this means that we would need to architect an
installer/configurator but the upside is that it would work for both
scenarios which is very important for us.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/