geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Why are gbeans not serialized but the gbean attributes are?
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 22:43:15 GMT

On May 25, 2005, at 7:24 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

>     The more interesting question is Hiram's point on providing more
> advanced support for attribute contruction.  This seems to be one
> of the
> advantages Dain's Spring-based kernel provides.

Right. One big advantage of the Spring based kernel is the attributes
get the same quality of service as the top-level named service (a
GBean in geronimo nomenclature).  In geronimo we save the "recipe"
for a service, meaning we save the name of the class to construct,
the attribute values to inject and the references to inject.  When
the service is restarted, we follow the recipe to create a new
instance of the service.  In the spring based kernel, not only do we
have a recipe for the top-level named service, but the attributes can
also be saved as a "recipe".  This means an attribute can be
arbitrarily complex without having to support serialization.

-dain